Build KCI announces its first call for public art at the new Kansas City International Airport.
The City of Kansas City, Missouri One Percent for Art program seeks to commission a professional visual artist, or artist team, to create public art to be placed in The New Single Terminal at KCI airport. The One Percent for Art program provides a $5.65M overall budget to the commission of art works for the new KCI airport scheduled to open in March 2023.
Build KCI seeks RFQs from artists/teams for the following airport locations*:
Check-In Hall Ceiling – A hanging installation suspended from the roof structure of the Check-In Hall. Location within the hall to be proposed by the semifinalist artists at a scale commensurate with the space.
Escalator to Baggage Claim – A hanging installation will be suspended from the roof structure. The installation is located between the escalators and visible to passengers descending to the baggage claim hall.
Node A: Fountain – The art in this location should be inspired by Kansas City’s history as “The City of Fountains.” While no water may be used here due to its position above the terminal’s baggage system, the art should embody the qualities of a fountain and may be hung and/or floor mounted. The installation is centered on the clerestory “popup.” KCI intends to host musical performances in the space adjacent to the installation.
Node B – A hanging installation is suspended from the roof and centered on the “popup” clerestory. The installation will serve as a focal point for the B node and a wayfinding marker for passengers traveling within the terminal.
*Please note that additional calls for art at the airport will roll out over the next few months.
Please submit the following via this CaFE RFQ by no later than Sunday, December 6, 2020 by 11:59 p.m. MST. Submissions received after this deadline will not be considered.
Letter of Intent, up to 1 page
• Clearly describe your interest in the project and how you will be able to contribute to its success.
• Articulate your interest and/or experience in public art design, fabrication &/or project collaboration.
• Summarize your experience in developing and/or executing creative projects of this scope in the public realm in the Kansas City metropolitan area (if applicable), airports, and beyond (e.g. site-responsive art installations, interactive and participatory artworks, multimedia projects, creative placemaking events, festivals, etc.).
• Artist’s Experience: list your professional experience including any commissions, residencies, touring, exhibitions, collaborations, and projects involving the community and work in the public sector.
• Education: list your educational background and training.
• Experience working with organizations, institutions, developers, locally and beyond.
• Include up to 3 professional references
Images, video, audio or multi-media
A relevant body of work that demonstrates conceptual, aesthetic, and technical mastery in at least one artistic medium. Attach up to 10 .pdf or jpg. images &/or links and/or up to 6 each audio and/or video files.
A list providing details of your portfolio images, such as title, year made, materials, dimensions and budget.
The Selection Panel will use the following evaluation criteria to select an artist or artist team:
• Excellence: Works of art in the artist’s portfolio are original, innovative, of exceptional quality and enduring value.
• Relevant prior experience: The artist has created projects of a similar scale and budget and has experience coordinating with multiple stakeholders; or, is jointly submitting the qualifications of a collaborator that has created such projects and that has such experience.
• Appropriateness to site and project: Works of art in the portfolio indicate that the artist is likely to be sensitive to the social, economic, cultural, historical and physical context of the site and the surrounding neighborhood, either existing or planned.
• Durability: Works of art in the artist’s portfolio utilize materials and processes likely to contribute to the longevity of public works of art, especially for projects that will be located outdoors, or is willing to adopt such practices by collaborating with a partner with relevant specialized expertise.
The selected Shortlisted Artists will be notified by mid-January 2021.
The Kansas City, Missouri Public Art Administrator, in conjunction with the Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Art Commission, will convene one or more selection panels to evaluate the submissions. Selection panels are comprised of area arts professionals, project stakeholders, and community members such as Municipal Art Commission appointees. Up to three semi-finalists will be selected and paid a $5,000 stipend to develop a proposal (RFP) to present to the selection panel. The selection panel will review the semi-finalist proposals, budgets and qualifications (images of work, resume/CV, letter of interest, references, and select one or more artist(s) or artist teams, and one alternate. The selected artist/artist team’s proposal will be presented to the Municipal Art Commission for approval prior to development of a contract. All contracts may be subject to approval by the Kansas City City Council.
Semi-finalist and finalist artists seeking assistance with City of Kansas City, Missouri contract requirements should contact KC BizCare, https://www.kcmo.gov/programs-initiatives/kc-bizcare or 816-513-2492.
For questions outside of BizCare’s scope of services, artists may be referred to other resources. BizCare and other City employees and/or contractors are not authorized to give legal advice to artists. Semi-finalist and finalist artists may find it advantageous to consult with an attorney while discussing contract terms with the City.
RFQ due: December 6, 2020 11:59pm MST
Semifinalist Artists notified: mid-January 2021RFP issued: mid-January
RFP due: March 15, 2021
Interviews conducted between: March 15-31, 2021
Finalist notified: May 2021
Design, Site Visits, Coordination, Fabrication: 2021-2022
Artwork installation completed no later than: December 2022
Airport Opens: March 2023
Artist Information Sessions
Videoconference Artist Information Sessions will be held Wed Oct 28th, 5:30pm-7pm CDT (GMT-5) and Sat Oct 31st 10am-11:30am CDT (GMT-5). These sessions will be recorded and questions and answers resulting from these sessions will be added to this RFQ as an FAQ Addendum.
Click here to register for the Artist Information Sessions.
For more information, visit https://www.buildkci.com/art/.