Charlotte Street Foundation (CSF) is currently accepting applications for the new, Jedel Family Foundation Curatorial Fellow.
This is a 1-year fellowship with the possibility of renewal for a 2nd year. Time will be divided between developing 3-4 exhibitions for Charlotte Street’s Exhibitions program and general administrative duties within the Programming Department at Charlotte Street, including giving presentations and lectures as a representative of CSF, concepting and writing didactics/text panels/ exhibition related publications, engaging with and collaborating with the Programming Advisory Board and CSF Board of Directors, and participating in group/staff discussions and problem solving as an integrated and engaged member of the CSF team
The Desired Candidate:
CSF is seeking a high-energy programmatic visionary and creative problem solver, as well as a strong communicator and connector to artist communities and partners locally, regionally, and nationally. They will have strong working knowledge of contemporary art, artists, and curatorial practices. They will be detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to develop, refine, and execute exhibitions and programming intended to engage and support the Kansas City Arts Community. They will be excited about working to support contemporary artists in Kansas City, and value the input of and collaboration with, the CSF team and partner organizations that we work with closely to execute exhibitions and programs.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Fully responsible for the generation & implementation of 3-4 exhibitions & ancillary public programming
- Develop and produce didactic materials for exhibitions & programs
- Brainstorm with Programming team & CSF staff on any new programmatic concepts in development
- Engage thoughtfully with partners, community, & media as a representative of CSF
- Develop & deliver lectures, presentations, & outreach sessions to inform & engage students, artists, and general public in CSF exhibitions & public programming
- Maintain an active presence and participation in Kansas City Art Community
- Conduct studio visits & engage meaningfully with artists in the Kansas City community
- Commit to a curatorial strategy that incorporates and develops Kansas City artists alongside regional and national artists
- Collaborate with Studio Residency Manager to develop meaningful engagements with studio residents that might include studio visits/critiques, development of programming or exhibition
- Serve on panels, juries, or as a guest critic or lecturer when invited, internally at CSF or externally within the KC community as a CSF representative.
- Partner with Development staff to generate narrative content for grant requests, and engage with potential funders when appropriate
Classification & Pay Range:
Temporary Full time, Exempt (FTE benefits including health insurance, flex scheduling, paid vacation, sick time, paid federal holidays) Pay – $40k annually
How to Apply:
Please send the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably as one packaged PDF attachment with an email cover letter). The email subject line should read JFF Curatorial Fellow.
- Cover letter of interest
- CV/resume (Resume should include contact information for 3 references who can speak to working directly with you professionally – best if it could include a mix of folks working in different capacities, as artists/peer administrators/manager, etc.)
- Demonstration/portfolio of your curatorial work – could include any links to websites of your work or exhibition portfolio, images & descriptions of exhibitions including all participating artists, articles published about your exhibitions or programs
- Demonstration of your writing capabilities – didactics, art criticism, articles/essays/publications, artwork labels, etc.
Deadline for Application:
Charlotte Street is seeking to fill this position soon, with a start date in the fall of 2020. Submission of applications by July 24th is encouraged, though the application will remain open until an appropriate candidate is hired. All candidates will be contacted and notified of status by email. Candidates who are most competitive will be invited to a phone interview and subsequent in person or digital interviews, and will be notified of their status by phone as it is decided. Interviews will consider safety precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please do not call will questions about application status.
Charlotte Street Foundation (CSF) identifies the needs and fuels the evolution of an ever-changing multidisciplinary arts ecosystem, acting as its primary provocateur. We cultivate the values of risk, collaboration, openness, and excellence in the practice of artists working in and engaging with the Kansas City art community. Charlotte Street provides annual cash awards, project-based grants, studio residencies, and manages multiple venues providing exhibition/performance opportunities for visual and generative performing artists. For more information, go to www.charlottestreet.org.
You can read an attached PDF of the job listing here.