The PEN/Jean Stein Grant for Literary Oral History is a $15,000 grant that recognizes a literary work of nonfiction that uses oral history to illuminate an event, individual, place, or movement.
The online submission form requires the following, submitted as one pdf file:
- A 1-2 page, single-spaced description of the work, its importance, and why the author chose to undertake this project. This space can additionally be used to discuss any permissions, rights, contracts, publication timelines, or other aspects of your project.
- A 1-2 page, single-spaced statement explaining why and how oral history was used in the project.
- A 300-500 word statement explaining how a grant would aid in the completion of the project.
- A CV for the author of the project, which should include information on any previous publications.
- An outline that includes the work completed thus far and the work remaining. The outline should include the names of all participants.
- Transcripts of the project interviews (6-10 pages).
- A writing sample from the project (20-40 pages, double-spaced).