Locust Projects invites local, national, and international artists to apply for the opportunity to access the space and resources to create ambitious, large-scale new work in the 400 sq ft PROJECT ROOM. Proposals are reviewed by a rotating jury comprised of local, national and international artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects and one local curator. Locust Projects provides selected artists with curatorial guidance, production budget, artist WAGE fee, documentation, and an opportunity to stay in the Locust Projects residency house located a block away.
PROJECT ROOM OPEN CALL OPPORTUNITY
– Solo exhibition of ambitious and new, installation-based work created specifically for Locust Projects Project Room (approx. 400 square feet) *highlighted in green on the floorplan
– Community engagement with the public through public programs or activations (i.e. conversation, collaboration, performance)
PROJECT ROOM RESOURCES AND SUPPORT
– $3500 max Production Budget (may include but is not limited to: production/fabrication, equipment rental, materials, professional/technical support, installation/construction labor, assistants, shipping, de-installation) Final budget determined based upon dates, proposal scope and scale of project, feasibility.
– $1500 Artist Fee plus $30 per diem stipend for out-of-town artists up to 10 days and $350 towards roundtrip flights and ground transport available to artists that live 150 miles away from Miami (above and beyond travel expenses shall be applied to production budget). Artists may use the Artist Fee at thier discretion.
– Accommodation in a private room at the Locust Projects Residency, a 2-bedroom/1 bath house which is walking distance to Locust Projects. Note, one other artist may be in residence pending Covid safety limitations.
– Basic infrastructure provided by Locust Projects includes access to use existing tool and av equipment inventory, up to 10 hours preparator labor/assistance for install/de-install, signage, installation documentation, and promotional support
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Proposals are reviewed by a rotating jury of artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects and one local curator. The following criteria will be used during the review process:
– Conceptual strength of the proposal, ambitious ideas, scale and/or use of space
– Strength of past work
– Unique or innovative approach to transforming or activating LP’s space and extension of the artist’s practice
– Feasibility of proposed project and related programs within budget and logistical concerns
– Compelling approach to contemporary artistic practice, societal concerns, and/or community impact