The 2023 Folklife Festival will bring Ozarks-based musicians, artisans, cooks, performers, and others to the National Mall in Washington, D.C., to celebrate and share their culture. Presented through two weeks of performances, workshops, demonstrations and other participatory experiences, the program will highlight diverse populations from across the region, encompassing parts of Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Illinois.
If you are interested in participating in the program, please read through the following page and fill out the Cultural Expressions Survey & Interest Form.
Presentation spaces will include:
- A formal music and dance venue with stage and dance floor for musical, dance, and storytelling performances and workshops
- Cooking and food demonstration areas
- Craft and occupation demonstration areas
- A narrative stage for thematic discussions and panels
- A family area with activities geared toward younger visitors
Selected candidates should be able to:
- Attend the Festival June 28 to July 9, 2023, in Washington, D.C.
- Provide hands-on learning opportunities for visitors of all ages (e.g. workshops, discussions, activities, performances, or demonstrations)
- Present cultural expressions in accessible and interactive ways (i.e. without screens or PowerPoint presentations)
- Represent diverse geographical, gender, or ethnic identities
- Present on multiple areas of expertise