The Tallgrass Artist Residency offers individual artists/artist teams time and space to retreat and research in a rural, tallgrass prairie setting. Artists are provided lodging at Matfield Station in the small community of Matfield Green, Kansas — 20 miles from Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and home to a growing number of artists and community builders.
• Residencies are offered in two-week (10 night) periods between May and September. Residency periods must occur in consecutive ten night blocks.
• Residents are expected to give a public program during this two-week period, and will be asked to contribute documentation of their experience through daily Instagram posts and a post-residency summary of their experience for the website (read Written Reflections on artists’ pages).
• Residents are also expected to be prepared to participate in a group exhibition and artist symposium in Matfield Green on Saturday, October 7, 2023 (lodging provided)
• Residents are required to make their own arrangements for transportation to and from the residency. Due to our rural setting, it’s essential for visitors to have their own reliable method of transportation.
• Residents are responsible for their own food, but cooking and eating utensils are available in all rooms.
• Artists will be provided 10 nights of lodging at Matfield Station during residency period.
• Artists will be connected with staff at the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and may be granted special access, upon request.
• Each artist will receive a $500 stipend for travel and material reimbursement to be awarded after residencies are completed.
• Artists will be provided lodging for up to two nights in or near Matfield Green during closing events in October.
• Reimbursement funding, within reason, will be available for shipping artwork to and from group exhibition.
Ideal applicants will have a strong body of work with a unique voice or perspective, a self-driven dedication to learning through place, and an interest in participating in a contemporary dialogue. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and career levels, media and practice.
Applications are due by October 31, 2022 at 11:59pm with notification by December 1, 2022.