The New Play Lab at the annual William Inge Theater Festival is a partnership between the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission and the William Inge Center for the Arts at Independence Community College.
The selected New Play Lab playwrights receive:
- A professional staged reading of their play before an audience
- Feedback on their play facilitated by national theatre professionals
- Additional playwriting classes and seminars exclusive to New Play Lab participants, including a masterclass with William Inge Theater Festival guest playwrights.
- Opportunities to meet with theater professionals from across the country
- Passes to all festival events, including two meal events
- vouchers as meal stipend at local restaurants in Independence
Kansas proudly celebrates William Inge, the Pulitzer Prize and Academy Award winning playwright born and raised in Independence. The Festival was created to recognize William Inge and his accomplishments while also celebrating contemporary living playwrights. This year the festival is proud to continue our tradition of honoring playwrights in a playwright’s hometown. National playwrights and theatre professionals gather together for three days of play readings, workshops and panel discussions, celebrating the world of theatre.
Applications will open Monday, October 16 are due no later than midnight CST on November 16, 2023, with notification by Jan. 16, 2024.
Note: the receipt of applications will be limited to the first 150 to apply. Only the first 150 applications will be reviewed. Therefore, applicants are urged to submit early, as the number of applicants may reach its limit before the final due date.
This program is supported in part by the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission, which receives support from the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.